Terrace environment in good conscience
Anders Haahr is putting the last touches on the expansion of his terrace at his vacation home in Løkken. He has chosen to use Superwood, because the wood is impregnated without the use of heavy metals and organic solvents. Hence, a completely environmentally friendly choice, which also is durable. In addition, the wood is dry when delivered and can be processed immediately. Superwood is also used on the facade of Anders Haahrs vacation house and the now 120 m² terrace. Additonally, he now gives out hiss experience to others.
1. Adjust the underlying ground. Level differences should be offset, remove large tree stumps or grass. You can also let the grass be. Are the terrace planks places close enough then the grass will not recieve enough light to grow.
2. Lay the groundwork. In this case, concrete masonry units are used to adjust to the desired height. Remember to take the terrace doors (or similar) into account, they should be able to open when the terrace is finished.
3. On the concrete blocks put bolts in the sizes 9,5 x 4,5. The bolts are manufactured in spruce.
4. The bolts are here placed with a distance of 70 cm. It provides a stable surface. If you make a walkway or another construction, which must bear a lot of weight you should put the bolts with 50 cm distance.
5. The bolts may not touch the ground.
6. Fasten the bolts to the building with an angle iron.
7. The bolts are protected with either transparent wood protection or as here a colored primer. In this case a color that matches the house has been selected, which gives a nice finishing effect.
8. Should the new terrace function as an extention to an existing terrace, then adapt the bolts to accordingly and removed the old terrace planks.
9. Lay the terrace planks from Superwood with the ddesired distance. A completely enclosed result is best achieved with a distance of 2-3 mm. Nevertheless, you can easily put your terrace planks with a maximum distance of 1 com.
10. Superwood terrace planks can be fitted with nails. However, by using screws you will receive a much more impressive result. It is not necessary to use the expensive stainless steel screws, but you can use NKT Climate®-X. Remember to pre-drill - it helps to complete the terrace.
11. Finally you can protect the surface of your new terrace with terrace oil - frequent re-treatments should be expected. It is important to clean the surface first. Follow the instructions about the surface treatments and the approach provided by the manufacturers. If you do not treat the surface, the surface will patina - see examples here: See exsampels of patinating